- Program Associate II / Senior Program Associate, USA
Program Associate II / Senior Program Associate
National PREA Resource Center (PRC)
The National PREA Resource Center (PRC) is a project of Impact Justice (IJ), funded through a cooperative agreement with the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA), Office of Justice Programs (OJP), at the Department of Justice (DOJ). The PRC serves as the national source for online and direct support, training, technical assistance, and research to assist adult and juvenile corrections, detention, law enforcement, and other professionals in their ongoing work to implement the National Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) Standards and reduce sexual abuse in confinement settings.
Impact Justice is a national innovation and research center advancing new ideas and solutions for justice reform. We work to dramatically reduce the massive number of youth and adults in our justice system, improve conditions and outcomes for those who are incarcerated, and provide meaningful opportunities for formerly incarcerated people to rejoin their communities.
Visit www.prearesourcecenter.org and www.impactjustice.org for more information.
Summary Position Description
The PRC seeks a qualified person to serve as a Program Associate II or Senior Program Associate in IJ’s Oakland, California or Washington, DC offices. The level will be determined by skills and experience. PRC will also consider remote candidates who are highly qualified. This position will support the Audit Oversight functions of the PRC. Broad areas of responsibility include detailed technical analysis of Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) audit compliance findings and the underlying documentary evidence-base; content analysis of audit reports and supporting documentation; statistical analysis and interpretation of risk modeled performance indicators; additional assistance with audit oversight and peer review functions, as necessary; and may include providing technical assistance and support to probationary and fully certified PREA auditors.
Audit Oversight (100%)
Supports the delivery of programmatic work in the audit oversight portfolio, including: Audit Oversight program components and Peer Review coordination:
● Review large and complex audit reports and supporting documentation to assess auditor fidelity with regulatory compliance criteria and additional auditing requirements
● Analyze audit data sets using statistical software and other digital tools to assess performance indicators and risk models and interpret statistical outcomes for strengths and weaknesses in auditor practice and performance.
● Provide detailed, reliable, and accurate written reports describing analytical activity and findings.
● Support the implementation and ongoing development of the audit Peer Review process, including assistance with the coordination of the Peer Review program, review and selection of Peer Reviewer candidates, development and delivery of Peer Reviewer training and refreshers, development of Peer Review resources (for Peer Reviewers and auditors in Peer Review), assistance with oversight of Peer Reviewers and their work product, preparing materials for DOJ’s PREA Management Office (PMO) and PRC senior leadership regarding the Peer Review process.
● Assist with the compilation of comprehensive case histories and related information to support PMO’s audit oversight activities.
May also include tasks in the Audit Quality Improvement (AQI) portfolio, including Probationary Certification Status interventions; Quality Improvement interventions; integration with the Auditor Field Training program:
● Support ongoing strategic development of AQI processes and functions and assist AQI leads in ensuring cross-project communication and interaction.
● Actively engage with probationary and fully-certified auditors in one-on-one mentoring and coaching, to deliver strengths-based analyses of their auditing and audit reporting practice.
● Conduct internal research to prepare for auditor engagement and leverage institutional knowledge to develop tailored approach to auditor engagement.
● Prepare and deliver oral and written guidance for probationary and fully certified auditors.
● Review draft audit reporting materials and provide detailed feedback on their written work to auditor trainees, probationary certification status auditors, and fully certified auditors as part of AQI’s continuous quality improvement process.
Level of Authority:
This position requires a high level of autonomy, communication, mentoring, and accountability. The Program Associate II/Senior Program Associate will report to the Associate Director and will also work closely with the AQI Senior Program Manager and other programmatic and administrative staff, and with consultants and advisors to the PRC.
Requires regular travel to training events and/or meetings in DC; up to 20%.
● Advanced degree and/or 5 -10 years relevant professional experience
● Expertise on corrections and detention operations and policy, and the ability to advise a wide range of confinement professionals on matters of operational concern and/or implementation.
● Exceptional critical, analytical, and interpretive thinking and problem-solving, and the ability to execute assignments in a way that demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of project and task objectives.
● Excellent writing skills
● Ability to learn the PREA standards and audit methodology; willingness to study this complex regulation and set of auditing rules on a short timeline.
● Demonstrated background and/or interest in criminal justice reform and the mission of Impact Justice.
● Commitment to the human rights and safety of people in confinement.
● Strong organizational skills, including excellent attention to detail and ability to follow protocols and maintain detailed case management records.
● Knowledge of the PREA standards, implementation issues, and of the Department of Justice (DOJ) implementation guidance on the PRC website FAQ page.
● Demonstrated understanding of the dynamics of sexual abuse, sexual harassment, and sexual victimization in confinement settings
● Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the PREA audit methodology, and at least some relevant experience with the PREA audit.
● Experience with corrections or related criminal justice oversight practices.
● Experience developing and delivering in person criminal justice training
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
● Proficiency in either Windows or Apple OS
● Ability to learn and become proficient in PRC’s dedicated systems, including Salesforce, the PRC’s Online Audit System, G-Suite of products, and others.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Impact Justice provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race/ethnicity, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, criminal history, or disability. We work closely with communities of color, the lesbian, gay, bisexual, questioning, gender nonconforming, and transgender communities, the formerly incarcerated, and former foster youth. Those with lived experience in these communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
● Competitive salary commensurate with experience; starting salary at $74,000- $82,000
● Generous benefits package, including medical, dental, FSA plans, and 401k
● Generous vacation and wellness leave
● Flexible work environment and schedule
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Job posted on 15th May 2019
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying to this position