- Public Policy and Advocacy Manager, USA
Public Policy and Advocacy Manager
This purpose of this position is to serve as the principal staff for grassroots advocacy efforts and government affairs in Hawaii. The Manager of Public Policy and Advocacy directs and manages local, state, and federal advocacy efforts in the state, and state-level governmental affairs efforts.
This is a part-time, 20 hour per week position, located in Honolulu, Hawaii and reports to the Aloha Chapter Executive Director, with a dotted line to the Chief Public Policy Officer.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
* Recruit, train, and engage advocates, to be involved as Alzheimer’s Association Ambassadors and team members for members of Congress and state-level Association Champions for state legislators.
* Promote and recruit volunteers in AIM, and assist advocate volunteers in the promotion of the Association’s 501(c)(4) advocacy arm - the Alzheimer’s Impact Movement (AIM).
* Mobilize advocates on federal issues in coordination with the D.C. Public Policy Office, including ensuring timely and effective response to policy developments by advocates
* Manage year-round policy grassroots advocacy activities, including office visits and correspondence, including electronic correspondence.
* Recruit and coordinate volunteer advocates to attend the Advocacy Forum in Washington, D.C. and to engage in pre- and post-Forum district office meetings.
* Serve as the Association’s chief professional lobbyist and face of the Association in Honolulu by developing relationships with state legislators and other relevant government officials and by lobbying for the state policy priorities.
* Plan and implement State Alzheimer’s Advocacy Day at the capitol, including recruiting advocates and coordinating their activities.
* In collaboration with Regional and chapter staff, develop the strategy - and oversee all efforts and activities - to achieve the state-level public policy priorities, including working with the state legislature and state agencies.
* Monitor committee meetings and legislative action during the state legislative session as well as between sessions.
* Support and participate in chapter events such as Walk to End Alzheimer’s, as requested.
* Track and report activities in the AIM Database and reporting to ensure compliance with federal and state lobbying laws.
* All other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
* Strong and extensive experience in volunteer management/community organizing and/or in the legislative, regulatory, and budget process in Hawaii
* Experience building and working with coalitions.
* Familiar with senior, aging, health, and long-term care issues. An understanding of Alzheimer’s disease/dementia and basic understanding of public health a plus.
* Demonstrate the ability to anticipate, identify, organize, and analyze public policy opportunities.
* Possess excellent written and oral communications skills.
* Detail oriented, adaptable, organized and able to successfully manage multiple projects and tasks.
* Proven self-starter with excellent judgment and careful attention to detail.
* Ability to work effectively with diverse populations with a high level of integrity, diplomacy, and initiative.
* Proficient in the use of personal computers, Google Apps and Microsoft applications.
* Bachelor’s degree. Relevant public policy and advocacy work experience will be considered.
* At least 5 to 7 years’ experience working in grassroots advocacy, volunteer management, or community organizing, preferably with non-profit organizations and/or working in state-level government affairs or with a state legislature.
* Have current contacts within the state legislature and executive branch, and with potential partners and collaborators.
* Political or issue advocacy campaign experience desired.
* Ability to travel frequently by car and air across the state and to the mainland as necessary. This position requires a DMV check.
* Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
* Ability to lift 25 pounds.
For further details, check the website https://jobs.alz.org/public-policy-and-advocacy-manager/job/8755858
Job posted on 8th February 2019
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying to this position