- Senior Research Associate, USA
Senior Research Associate
Center for Evidence-based Policy
The Center for Evidence-based Policy (https://www.centerforevidencebasedpolicy.org ) is a national leader in evidence-based decision making and policy design. The Center works with federal, state and local policymakers in more than 25 states to use high-quality evidence to guide decisions, maximize resources and improve health outcomes. The Center is objective and non-partisan, working in states across the country to support evidence-based decision-making. The Center does not lobby, and does not accept funding from industry, advocates, or trade associations. Though embedded within OHSU, the Center is entirely self-supporting.
This position's primary function is to produce and supervise the production of relevant, timely, and actionable evidence synthesis products, most often in the area of health services and technologies. Successful candidates will have substantial expertise in systematic review methodology, which will usually include expertise in all of the following areas: topic identification; selected and comprehensive approaches to literature searches; evidence grading and synthesis activities; and contributing to writing and presentation of evidence synthesis products. The ideal candidate will have experience conducting evidence synthesis on pharmacy-related topics, meta-analysis, and other data analysis. Experience presenting in formats tailored to different audiences is desirable. The Senior Research Associate will
work on a variety of projects at the Center.
Salary range for this position is $53,300 to $106,368. The midpoint is $79,834.
Go to https://www.ohsu.edu/xd/about/services/human-resources/careers/ and click “Search All Jobs”. Then under Keywords or IRC # Search type IRC75093 and click “Search”.
Independently designs and carries out evidence synthesis methods and conducts searches according to established criteria. Obtains, synthesizes, and maintains (in a range of formats) information from a variety of sources including research publications, multiple databases, web sources, and policy sources. Independently prepares reports and presentations of research, policy, and other types of reports according to established formats and standards, ensuring accuracy and clarity, and using narrative text, tables, and appropriate illustrations.
Creates and manages references in a reference software program. Requires little to no support from the Research Manager and Research Directors in tracking the progress of products, anticipating next steps, and gathering required information from internal and external contacts to produce high-quality, timely products. Follows research timelines, producing timely research deliverables.
Serves as an initial reviewer of selected reports and reviews research methods documents as directed by the Research Directors.
Communication and Dissemination: Develops and maintains effective relationships with Center clients, internal and external evidence resources, and a wide variety of state and federal governmental organizations and community groups. Makes substantial contributions to request for proposal submissions for relevant projects.
Member of Center team: Contributes to the ongoing Center development and various project deliverables via participation in selected project teams and staff meetings. Contributes to development of research and report methodology. Conducts meta-analysis and statistical analyses for various projects, as needed.
• Master's degree relevant to health research plus 5 additional years of related experience OR a PhD in a relevant field.
• At least 5 years of experience assisting with obtaining and synthesizing health research information and drafting this information into narrative reports and presentations.
• Experience in synthesizing evidence for use in decision making.
• Experience in evaluating systematic reviews and meta-analyses.
• Experience with GRADE ratings and risk of bias assessment.
• Experience providing critical appraisal to manuscripts, reports, or other related documents.
• Experience working with a citation management software application.
• Some health policy (local, state, or federal government or equivalent) experience.
• Experience working on multiple research projects simultaneously with excellent organizational skills.
• Ability to independently create and implement a search strategy to identify relevant health research.
• Proficiency in MS Office applications (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
• Excellent writing, grammatical, and proofreading skills.
• Ability to exercise discretion when dealing with issues of a sensitive nature and to maintain confidentiality at all times.
• Exceptional organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities.
• Ability to interact with a wide variety of stakeholders and internal and external customers.
• Ability to be self-motivated, prioritize effectively, and achieve deadlines.
• Ability to critically evaluate research products and provide substantive feedback.
• MPH or PhD with a concentration in epidemiology or biostatistics.
• All required experience as listed plus:
• Significant experience tailoring evidence synthesis products to decision makers.
• Experience producing rapid or systematic reviews.
• Experience working on pharmacy-related projects.
• Experience evaluating and synthesizing cost-effectiveness literature.
• Record of peer-reviewed publication.
• Experience working with specific reference and systematic review applications (EndNote and DistillerSR) and statistical software programs (SAS, SPSS).
• Experience conducting meta-analyses and other data analysis.
• All required knowledge, skills, and abilities as listed plus:
• Knowledge of effective and efficient approaches to searches using Cochrane Library, PubMed, MEDLINE, and skills with Medical Subject Headings (MeSH).
• Knowledge of statistical methods and statistical software.
• Knowledge of pharmaceuticals.
• A strong track record of critically appraising manuscripts, reports, or other related documents.
Job posted on 6th February 2019
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying to this position