- Senior Manager, Economic Freedom, USA
Charles Koch Institute
Location: Arlington, Virginia, 22201
A well-functioning economy is grounded in the rule of law and allows markets to deliver mutually-beneficial outcomes absent undue government interference and favoritism towards particular businesses and individuals. As an experienced professional with practical substantive experience in topics related to these issues, you believe this vision is not sufficiently realized in the current economy. Government is increasingly erecting harmful regulatory barriers, interfering with the functioning of private markets, and advancing cronyism and corporate welfare through policies that allow well-connected groups to receive special benefits at the expense of everyone else.
Come join our policy team as we foster a national conversation about economic freedom. As our Senior Manager, you will manage a team that deploys knowledge of a wide range of topics including but not limited to: political economy, property rights, and the philosophy of freedom; fiscal policy; cronyism and corporate welfare; and regulatory reform. The role entails promoting our vision to external audiences, developing partnerships, and exploring opportunities that advance economic freedom and opportunity for all. Your responsibilities will include providing leadership to the team, driving the strategy behind the policy team's engagement on these ideas which may include engaging in public representation and outreach to identify and maintain relationships with strategic prospects for partnership in this issue space. This critical team management job is focused on leadership, strategic vision, and outreach. This role does not directly entail research, writing, or media engagement.
If you are committed to fostering culture where society is based on voluntary exchange and spontaneous order rather than top-down governmental policies, join us.
Highlights of our Economic Freedom Policy Area:
• Fiscal and Tax Policy: Ensuring limited government such that tax and fiscal policies do not threaten a free economy where economic growth and opportunity are available to all.
• Regulatory Policy: Ensuring that laws and regulations protect individual rights rather than overburden individuals and businesses with undue barriers that reduce innovation, opportunity, and growth.
• Cronyism and Corporate Welfare: Removing government policies that undermine the rule of law and create a two-tier society by providing spending, tax, regulatory, and other preferences to favored businesses and individuals at the expense of others.
Your Responsibilities Include
• Help lead formulation of the team's plans and activities in the economic freedom issue area as well as driving our strategies on cronyism and corporate welfare
• Provide direct supervision and strategic direction to a team of 3-5 performing work in this issue area
• Drive external partnership, public outreach plans, and engage in public representation through speaking engagements at public forums, conferences, and other similar opportunities
• Oversee the development and writing of research/policy reports that will directly contribute to the Institute's understanding of this critical issue
• Advise and collaborate across the Institute and key partners to develop strategies which advance Institute goals
• Review grant proposals and make recommendations to key decision makers
Knowledge and Skills You Bring to the Organization
• 10+ years of experience, including at least 5 years of management experience
• Strong oral communicator, able to represent the Institute in the course of building partnerships externally
• High level of initiative and ability to work independently and in a team setting
• Solid understanding of and passion for individual liberty and classical liberal philosophy
• Entrepreneurial spirit and high sense of urgency
• Strong writing and analytical skills
Standout Candidates May Also Bring
• Graduate level degree in economics, political science or related field, Ph.D. preferred
• Experience in a public policy setting
• Strong knowledge of economic freedom issues
All candidates will be required to submit a writing sample. Examples include research papers, articles, and op-eds.
You're unique. And we love that about you. We've learned that diversity in experiences, perspectives, knowledge and ideas fuels creativity, broadens knowledge, and helps drive success. That's why we're proud to be an equal opportunity employer and strive to treat all employees with honesty, dignity and sensitivity. We welcome all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression or identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status or any other legally protected class.
The Charles Koch Institute is an educational organization focused on the importance of free societies and how they increase well-being for the overwhelming majority of people. Through the Institute's professional education, research, and training programs, we work to prepare professionals for careers that improve well-being by advancing free societies.
Because here, your life's work matters.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/9rr4cqkdwrdj8bx2
Job posted on 4th August 2018
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying to this position