- Executive Director, USA
Virginia Legislative Black Caucus (VLBC)
The Virginia Legislative Black Caucus (VLBC) is seeking an Executive Director who has a personal and profession passion and commitment to improving the economic, educational, political and social conditions of African-Americans and other underrepresented groups in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Executive Director will need the ability to create collective action by mobilizing the 22 VLBC Legislators and their respective staffs based on the caucus’ strategic priorities.
Job Duties and Requirements:
The VLBC takes an integrated approach to job duties and responsibilities. First and foremost, we seek someone who is in alignment with our mission of serving the African-American, and underrepresented communities in the Commonwealth. General skills we are looking for include excellent communication, relationship building, project management, and fundraising abilities. Additional job functions include:
● Develop, implement, and manage a proactive plan to achieve organization’s advocacy goals, including grassroots, and legislative outreach to connect legislators to broader communities;
● Serve as liaison and the central point of contact for the organization;
● Manage the development of the organization’s annual legislative agenda, collaborating with local and national advocacy and research organizations to inform policy initiatives;
● Elevate the organization’s brand as an innovative, cutting-edge, effective coalition of leaders, positioned to tackle emerging policy issues that arise by promoting the visibility of the organization;
● Plan the organization’s annual retreat(s) and public meetings during the General Assembly session;
● Supervise the development of the organization’s special events and programs, including Bi-Annual VLBC Conference, town hall meetings and business summits, which further the organization’s mission and legislative priorities;
● Responsible for developing and implementing annual operating budgets in collaboration with the treasurer;
● Create fundraising plan inclusive of regional receptions, to support proposed organization activities
● Ensure contributions received are used for the intended purpose(s) that comply with local, state or federal laws and regulations;
● Monitor timely submission of reports to Virginia State Board of Elections of caucus financial activities; and,
● Hire and manage fellows, interns and other external consultants as needed.
● A minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible professional experience;
● Must be a masterful communicator and excellent listener with strong ability to build trust among a wide range of caucus members, external stakeholders and constituents;
● Demonstrated multidisciplinary project skills; the ability to clearly articulate strategies and goals;
● Must be organized, able to multi-task and to manage multiple deadlines and responsibilities; and,
● Ability to become familiar with Virginia political landscape; distill the interests and needs of underrepresented communities, and to interpret state policies to understand how they will affect those groups on the ground. Virginia experience is a highly favored
BA or BS degree required; and, Master’s degree or higher preferred.
No less than 3-5 years of leadership and management experience;
Event management and strategic planning skills a plus; and,
Experience in working in flex working environments.
Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and a working knowledge of social media platforms.
● Occasional lifting of objects up to 25 lbs;
● Extensive travel; and,
● Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing and pulling.
Other Requirements: Requires evening and weekend work schedules.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 30, 2018 5:00 PM EST
The Virginia Legislative Black Caucus is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Job posted on 26th July 2018
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying to this position