- Director of Strategy, Policy & Communications, USA
Building Changes seeks a Director of Strategy, Policy & Communications to lead and guide the organization’s policy, advocacy and communications functions. The position reports to the Executive Director.
Building Changes believes everyone in Washington can be stably housed. We strengthen the leaders, organizations and systems that make it possible.
Building Changes pulls together government, philanthropy and nonprofits in a collective effort to impact homelessness in Washington State. We act as a driver for innovative strategies that help youth and families obtain and maintain stable housing. We advocate for effective practices and fair policies—and adequate investments to sustain them. We focus on generating change in the institutions that serve people in need so they can be more efficient and effective. Based on our thought leadership on family and youth homelessness in Washington State, Building Changes seeks to expand its participation in the national conversation on homelessness.
The Director of Strategy, Policy and Communications is a member of the organization’s leadership team, along with the Executive Director, Chief Financial Officer, Program Director and Director of Measurement, Learning and Evaluation.
S/he/they will be a visionary thought leader, collaborating closely with the leadership team and staff to conceive of and implement strategic plans to achieve our mission and align the communications strategy to policy and program strategy. As the organization considers its approach to expanding its work, this person will hold the big picture strategic vision, seek new opportunities, and own the corresponding storytelling externally.
• Leads development and implementation of policy, advocacy and communications strategy that supports the goals of Building Changes to prevent youth and family
homelessness, help youth and families experiencing homelessness obtain and maintain stable housing, combat racial disproportionality among those who find themselves
homeless, and eliminate racial disparities within the homeless crisis response system.
• Leads the Policy & Advocacy and Strategic Communications teams (4 staff and 4 external consultants).
• Actively engages and participates as a member of the agency Leadership Team that sets and deploys the strategic direction for Building Changes.
• Identifies policy, advocacy, communications and messaging opportunities and approaches that will complement Building Changes’ overall strategic direction.
• Develops, maintains and strengthens priority influencer and partner relationships at the state and federal level, and seeks new partnerships to expand Building Changes’ capacity and effectiveness.
• Hires, coaches, develops, supervises, and evaluates staff.
• Generates and monitors progress toward strategy goals, project budgets, and project staffing in accordance with the organization’s strategic goals and overall budget.
The successful candidate will have:
• Demonstrated passion for Building Changes’ mission and work to ensure that youth and families experiencing homelessness or who are precariously housed obtain and
maintain stable housing, especially people of color and LGBTQ youth who are disproportionately represented among people experiencing homelessness.
• Substantive expertise in public policy relating to homelessness, housing, education, early learning, maternal and child health, child welfare and/or related fields. Master’s degree in public policy, social sciences, or related field (JD preferred), and 8-10+ years of advocacy/policy experience at the state and/or national levels.
• Minimum 3-5 years of supervisory experience, and a strong understanding of how to bring about the best in direct reports.
• Demonstrated critical, innovative, and strategic thinker.
• Excellent collaborator, with experience leading interdisciplinary teams and partnering internally and externally to identify strategic opportunities and achieve joint objectives.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills with experience as a high level representative on behalf of an organization. Strong public speaker.
• Thorough understanding of the roles of government relations, media relations, issue management, information dissemination and strategic communications in influencing public policy, maintaining and expanding Building Changes’ strong reputation within the state, and establishing a promising presence and eventually a strong reputation at the national level as well.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills; and proven ability to manage multiple complex projects and move them forward to timely completion.
• Intermediate level ability with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
• Ability to travel statewide and nationally when needed.
Communications by July 27, 2018. For more information please visit our website at www.buildingchanges.org.
Building Changes is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong organizational commitment to building a diverse workforce.
Job posted on 4th July 2018
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying to this position