- Senior Editor, ThinkProgress, DC, USA
- Reports to: Editor in Chief, ThinkProgress
- Staff reporting to this position: ThinkProgress reporters
- Department: Communications, ThinkProgress
- Position classification: Exempt, full time
ThinkProgress has an immediate opening for a Senior Editor to help shape the site’s coverage strategy as it works to hold the Trump administration accountable in a constantly changing media landscape. The Senior Editor will play a crucial role in fulfilling ThinkProgress’ mission of producing trustworthy journalism with a progressive worldview.
Working with a management team, the Senior Editor will oversee a team of reporters executing a range of on-the-ground, rapid-response, and enterprise projects. This role requires both a fast-twitch enthusiasm for breaking news and an ambitious long-term vision for the future of ThinkProgress coverage. Ideal candidates will have a sharp eye for internet news; a deep understanding of how to shape a compelling story; a thoughtful approach to leading a team; and the self-motivation to experiment in a fast-paced industry.
- Manage a team of reporters working across multiple beats.
- Work closely with writers to hone story ideas and develop new angles on major political stories.
- Edit multiple pieces a day—sometimes on tight deadlines.
- Work in consultation with the site’s leadership team to manage our newsroom policies, guide our coverage strategy, and define our editorial vision.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least four years of experience working in online media.
- The management skills to oversee a diverse team of reporters.
- Strong familiarity with both progressive policy and writing for the internet.
- An instinct for what makes a good story and how to execute it.
- The big-picture editorial judgment to successfully advance ThinkProgress’ mission.
- The ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, both to reporters and to a general audience.
Candidates who would excel in this position:
- Have a sharp political news sense and a good grasp of ThinkProgress’ editorial goals.
- Feel a sense of satisfaction in working with writers to get their stories published.
- Know how to take a story idea from good to great.
This position is not for candidates who:
- Struggle to manage their own time, stay organized, or balance multiple projects at once.
- Struggle with management responsibilities or communication skills.
- Would rather work as a reporter than as a behind-the-scenes editor.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
Apply online here
Posted on 13 September 2017
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying for this position