- Research Associate, Ocean Policy, DC, USA
- Reports to: Director of Ocean Policy
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: Energy and Environment
- Position classification: Nonexempt, full time
American Progress has an immediate opening for a research associate to support the Ocean Policy team. This person will monitor a wide range of ocean policy issues with a particular focus on domestic and international fishery management; provide research assistance; write original reports and blog pieces; assist with communications, social media, and outreach; and provide programmatic administrative support. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, have a close familiarity with ocean policy issues and concepts, and possess administrative experience, including strong organizational skills.
- Conduct original research on domestic and international fisheries management as well as other ocean policy topics such as the Blue Economy, climate change, coastal restoration and resiliency, and offshore energy development.
- Coordinate with CAP’s Communications department, the Energy and Environment Policy team, and other internal policy teams to maximize the impact of our work.
- Engage in rapid response activities, including writing articles, op-eds, blog posts, and social media posts and shareables.
- Contribute to major reports pertaining to current events in ocean and marine policy.
- Develop relationships with administration offices, Capitol Hill staff, external groups, and media contacts.
- Assume responsibility for the Ocean Policy team’s social media platforms.
- Provide administrative support to the Ocean Policy team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as environmental science or policy, resource economics, or political science.
- Master’s degree or at least two years of relevant work experience, at least a portion of which has focused on ocean issues.
- Comfort working under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.
- A passion for the ocean and an ability to develop and identify pragmatic solutions to the suite of challenges facing the world’s oceans.
- Capitol Hill or executive agency experience a plus.
- Must support American Progress’ broader mission and be committed to a progressive agenda.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
Apply online here
Posted on 13 September 2017
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying for this position