- Research Associate, Faith and Progressive Policy Initiative, DC, USA
Research Associate, Faith and Progressive Policy Initiative
Center for American Progress
Job Code: B28007
Location: USA – Washington, DC
- Reports to: Vice president, Faith and Progressive Policy Initiative
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: Faith and Progressive Policy Initiative
- Position classification: Exempt, full time
American Progress has an immediate opening for a research associate for the Faith and Progressive Policy Initiative. The research associate will work under the direction of the vice president of the Faith and Progressive Policy Initiative and will be responsible for producing research and writing on the intersection of theology and progressive social policy. The work will span across several issue areas, including religious liberty, economic inequality, immigration, racial justice, LGBT issues, women’s health, and other related issues. The associate will also assist the team in identifying and working with religion scholars and faith leaders to articulate a moral frame to promote just policies that recognize the dignity of all people.
- Conduct and support research, writing, and analysis on academic and legislative issues, including by conducting literature reviews, drafting talking points, columns, papers, charts, tables, and graphs, as well as proofreading, fact-checking, and editing documents.
- Develop, implement, and manage the production and distribution of policy portfolios and products.
- Draft policy reports, short policy columns, and articles.
- Coordinate and plan meetings and events.
- Collaborate with American Progress’ policy teams on projects and events consistent with team priorities.
- Represent the team at coalition meetings.
- Develop expertise in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Draft rapid-response posts on pressing faith-related news and issues.
- Participate in team efforts to increase the Faith and Progressive Policy Initiative’s presence in social media platforms.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree; master’s degree is a plus.
- One to two years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills.
- Professional experience in religious studies.
- A robust understanding of the intersection of spirituality, religion, and progressive social policies.
- Familiarity with religious liberty issues and relevant social justice policy issues: economic inequality, immigration, racial justice, LGBT issues, women’s health, and other related issues.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, manage competing priorities, take initiative, pay attention to details, and work with precision in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as a part of a team.
- Experience working with and/or in faith communities is preferred.
- Prior work experience with a nonprofit is a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, as well as Twitter and Facebook.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
Apply online here
Posted on 13 September 2017
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying for this position