- Legal Researcher/Senior Legal Researcher, CAP Forward, DC, USA
Legal Researcher/Senior Legal Researcher, CAP Forward
Center for American Progress
Job Code: B28002
Location: USA – Washington, DC
- Reports to: Policy and Research Director
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: CAP Forward
- Position classification: Exempt, full time
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Legal Researcher/Senior Legal Researcher on the CAP Forward team to conduct short- and long-term investigations into actions taken by the Trump administration that potentially conflict with substantive or procedural laws. The Legal Researcher/Senior Legal Researcher will be responsible for tracking new federal laws, regulations, and executive actions; examining public documents, Freedom Of Information Act responses, and materials obtained via discovery; and identifying individuals injured by the federal government. This person will work under the guidance of CAP Forward’s policy and research director. The ideal candidate should be creative and have extensive experience conducting investigations.
- Track actions taken by the federal government and identify potential legal vulnerabilities.
- Conduct investigative research on individuals and entities.
- Identify parties aggrieved by government action.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Two to four years of experience in investigative research.
- Experience operating in high-stakes environments that require producing high-quality, accurate products under tight deadlines.
- Superb research and writing ability.
- Detail oriented, highly organized, and excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to plan ahead and set priorities.
- Understands how to effectively use Westlaw/LexisNexis, Public Access to Court Electronic Records, Roll Call, and Bloomberg Business.
- Adept at searching financial records, court filings, and government records.
- Strong understanding of national politics.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
Apply online here
Posted on 13 September 2017
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying for this position