- Religious Freedom Intern, USA
Religious Freedom Intern
Intern- Religious Freedom
Location: Washington, DC
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Intern will provide support for the administrative, logistical and programmatic aspects for EAP. She/he will have the opportunity to assist the EAP team in countering the rising trend of human rights violations directly threatening religious minorities, religious reformists, atheists and others targeted because of their belief or nonbelief. Anticipated learning outcomes include: basic understanding of religious freedom issues worldwide; basic understanding of how advocacy is coordinating among International NGO consortia; basic understanding of digital security techniques; practical administrative, logistical, and programmatic implementing of a large scale grant; basic understanding of monitoring and evaluation techniques for a large-scale grant. This position is based in Washington, D.C., and reports to the Senior Program Officer for EAP. The intern will be expected to start on January 28, 2018 until the end of the semester.
· Current college or graduate student in the Washington, DC area
· Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
· Demonstrated knowledge and interest in human rights and religious freedom
· Proficiency with MS Office Suite specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
· Ability to work independently and collaboratively with program team
· Excellent research, analytical, writing, and organizational skills
· Experience with preparing financial documents preferred
· Experience handling sensitive information in a secure and confidential manner preferred
· Language skills from South Asia, Southeast Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa including Urdu, Hindi, Bengali and Malay-Indonesian preferred
Some Duties and Responsibilities
· Provide support for the administrative, logistical, and programmatic aspects of project implementation
· Provide research assistance for programs and proposal development
· Assist with editing/writing proposals, reports, press releases, and briefing books
· Prepare financial forms and contracts as needed
· Maintain files and databases, help develop and produce promotional materials
· Monitor and developing EAP-related updates on mainstream news sites, blogs, and social media sites
· Communicate via secure email, VoIP and chat with field staff, consultants and local partners
· Assist with organizing events and meetings in DC and abroad related to FH programs
· Other related duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties , as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume, and cover letter.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need to apply.
Successful candidates will be applying for this internship as part of an established colleague/graduate school internship program.
Job posted on 19th November 2018
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying to this position