- State Campaign Communications Director, DC, USA
Job Code: B27765
Location: USA – Washington, DC
The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, a non-profit policy institute, and the State Priorities Partnership (SPP), a network of 42 state-level organizations with which the Center collaborates frequently, conduct research and analysis on a range of fiscal and economic policies. The Center and network Partnership organizations have attained national reputations for conducting rigorous, timely analyses and using those analyses to shape public debate, with particular attention to the effects of policies on low- and moderate-income families and individuals. Through public education, issue campaigns, and dissemination of data, the Center’s state partner organizations play an important role in informing these high-stakes debates.
The Center is seeking an experienced campaign communications professional to play a leadership role working with state network partners to develop and execute communications plans associated with legislative and ballot issue campaigns; develop the skills needed to fill the Center’s and Partnership groups’ growing need for effective communicators and activists to engage policy debates; and serve as a senior advisor to Center and Partnership leadership on effective strategies to drive narratives.
The Director will:
- Regularly coordinate with communications staff within the Center and SPP organizations to assist with campaign communications planning, capacity building, and external and internal communications;
- Craft messages for state issue campaigns;
- Assist in developing and executing communications trainings for SPP leaders, staff, and members;
- Generate, monitor, and rapidly respond to press coverage of state fiscal and economic policies through the country and identify and cultivate earned media opportunities to garner media coverage for SPP issue campaigns;
- Implement rapid response and crisis communications plans for state partners;
- Identify and pitch reporters on state fiscal policy issues and initiatives;
- Manage various consultants to assist in developing and executing communications content and strategies;
- Assist in the execution of various communications strategies and activities, such as press conferences and events;
- Develop, write, edit, and distribute internal and external campaign communications materials, such as sample letters to the editor, op-eds, and other materials as necessary;
- Guide state partners and allies in the strategic use of broad communications platforms, such as blogs, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and other online, social media, broadcast, and print communications; and
- Lead opportunities to share best practices across states through peer-to-peer communications and training opportunities among the state Partnership organizations.
Qualified candidates should possess ten years of strategic communications and messaging experience that has informed issue debates; proven experience in advising key leadership and stakeholders; a strong ability to synthesize complex information for multiple audiences; experience in drafting communications plans and conducting media relations; and the ability to create and execute email and social media campaigns.
Candidates also should have familiarity with state budget, tax, and low-income issues; exceptional oral and written communication skills; the ability to manage multiple tasks and work under tight deadlines; the ability to think strategically, keep others informed, and engage in a constantly changing environment; demonstrated staff and contract management experience; and exceptional organizational, planning, relationship-building, and interpersonal skills. This position reports to the Director of State Strategies & Engagement, is based in Washington, D.C., and requires travel.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience; excellent benefits, including health insurance and dental coverage, life and long-term disability insurance, retirement, MERP, DCAP; and generous vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules.
The Center is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, takes affirmative action to ensure that discrimination does not occur against an employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.
Posted on 03 August 2017
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying for this position