- Policy Counsel/Government Affairs Associate, DC, USA
Position Announcement: June 13, 2017
Location: Washington, DC
As part of the Center for Responsible Lending policy advocacy team, The Policy Counsel/Government Affairs Associate will split time between serving as one of CRL’s primary representatives to federal government officials and policy makers and contributing policy analysis on consumer lending issues such as housing and mortgage lending, student loans, debt collection practices, and small dollar lending abuses in order to advance the Center’s mission of promoting responsible lending. This position will also include writing and outreach to regulatory officials that advance strategies to achieve the Center’s legislative and regulatory agenda at primarily the federal level.
- Represent CRL in the United State Congress.
- Represent CRL with federal regulators and executive branch staff.
- Create and maintain relationships with key regulatory and Congressional representatives. Also build relationships with other organizations, trade groups and companies with an interest in lending policy; perform outreach to congressional staff, regulators and allies. In concert with other teams and issue groups, encourage allies to support CRL positions and join with us to defend or defeat legislative and regulatory proposals.
- Represent CRL at external functions, such as at receptions and conferences (this is likely to include events beyond typical office hours) and represent CRL in public domain at meetings and conferences;
- Act as a spokesperson and representative for CRL on legislative and policy matters.
- Help identify media opportunities and draft informational materials and conduct news conferences in order to state CRL’s views and to inform public of features of proposed legislation considered desirable or undesirable.
- Contribute to advancing CRL’s federal legislative and regulatory agenda and participate on teams to coordinate our federal and state policy agenda.
- Identify and assist in developing strategy to advance legislative and regulatory agendas.
- Track and analyze legislation and regulatory action related to CRLs issue areas.
- Provide significant technical assistance in drafting legislation; engage in legal research and assist in developing policy recommendations.
- Conduct research and provide analysis that will support the development and executive of strategies and initiatives designed to advance CRL’s agenda.
- Write or review speeches, articles, and policy briefs.
- Prepare and present testimony. May testify at public hearings to enlist support for CRL’s interests.
- Perform other duties as may be deemed necessary.
- J.D. or Master in Public Policy or commensurate degree
- At least one-two (1-2) years of experience
- Direct experience in government or in nongovernmental organizations working to influence policy
- Demonstrate Self-Help’s/CRL’s corporate competencies:
- Mission and Values
- Standards of Excellence
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Initiative and Follow-Through
- Customer Focus
- Excellent communication and demonstrated writing skills
- Experience and skill at building relationships with external partners and cultivating collaboration
- Ability to give engaging presentations to a wide variety of audiences
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law
- Ability to work well as part of a team and with a diverse group of people and settings
- Self-starter, able to initiate and juggle multiple projects and work independently
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint
- Ability to travel up to 2 times/month and work frequent evenings/weekends as needed
Experience in civil rights, housing/mortgage lending, predatory lending, consumer law, or banking law
Frequently requires use of manual dexterity and repetitive motions, primarily with the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Must be able to occasionally lift and exert force of up to 10 pounds.
Competitive nonprofit salary, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package.
The Center for Responsible Lending is a nonprofit, nonpartisan research and policy organization dedicated to protecting homeownership and family wealth by working to eliminate abusive financial practices. CRL provides research and technical policy expertise to help policymakers evaluate consumer protection options and wealth-building opportunities. We educate consumers and the media about predatory lending issues, work with local and national coalitions to push for change, and take part in selected legal cases to advance consumer protections. CRL's work has helped lead to major changes in lending practices, saving families over $2 billion annually. For more information, go to www.responsiblelending.org.
Self-Help, CRL's affiliate, is a community development lender founded in 1980 that creates and protects ownership and economic opportunity for minority, women-headed, rural and low-wealth families through home and small business lending. Self-Help has provided $6 billion in financing to 70,000 homebuyers, small businesses and nonprofit organizations and serves more than 80,000 mostly low-income families through 30 retail credit union branches in North Carolina, California, and Chicago.
The Center for Responsible Lending is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, class, age, religion, disability that can be accommodated, marital status, ancestry, nationality, family status or sexual orientation.
Apply online here http://www.responsiblelending.org/about-us/careers/policy-counselgovernment-affairs-associate
Visit us here http://www.responsiblelending.org
Posted on 20 June 2017
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying for this position