- Criminal Defense Practice Investigative Intern-Summer 2019, USA
Criminal Defense Practice Investigative Intern-Summer 2019
Legal Aid Society
The Legal Aid Society is the nation's oldest and largest social-justice legal services organization. Its Criminal Defense Practice is the primary public defender in New York City. The Summer 2019 Investigator Internship is a hands-on, intense and immersive experience in which partnered interns do actual investigations in criminal cases after a thorough training program. The mandatory training sessions include Criminal Defenses, Interviewing Techniques, Constitutional Law, Ethics, Memorializing an Interview, Social Media Research, and much more. The training schedule for Summer 2019 has been posted on our website. Our internship opportunities are unpaid. We encourage applicants to seek funding from their academic institutions or third-party funders.
* Extensive fieldwork required on a daily basis
* Ability to travel around New York City via mass transit
* Photograph, diagram, measure and map out incident locations
* Canvass for and secure video surveillance footage
* Social media and internet research on witnesses and jurors
* Locate and interview complainants, alibi witnesses and eyewitnesses
* Obtain written and/or recorded statements
* Serve subpoenas
* May attend police misconduct hearings
* Support and assist investigators on collateral issues involving felony cases
* Assist attorneys in preparing for hearings and trials
* Other appropriate duties as assigned
Posting End Date-11:59 pm EST
Feb 15, 2019
* Undergraduate and Graduate Students
* Demonstrated interest in indigent defense
* Interest in serving racially and socioeconomically oppressed communities
* Ability to work collegially and collaboratively with all members of the staff
* Strong writing, research and communication skills
* Ability to manage multiple tasks, deadlines, and critically thinking
Prospective candidates will be contacted for an interview. Due to the high volume of applications and the competitive hiring process, we will not be able to interview all of the applicants.
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The leadership of The Legal Aid Society is committed to a work culture of zealous advocacy, respect, diversity and inclusion, client-oriented defense, access to justice and excellent representation. We are dedicated to building a strong professional relationship with each of our clients, to understanding their diverse circumstances, and to meeting their needs. Our ability to achieve these goals depends on the efforts of all of us.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Job posted on 14th December 2018
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying to this position