- Client Advocate Internship , USA
Houston, TX • Houston
Tahirih Justice Center, a non-profit legal services organization, seeks an intern to provide client and legal program support. The Client Advocate internship is a hands-on position that provides training and experience in trauma-informed, immigrant survivor advocacy and empowerment. The individual will be responsible for assisting the legal program in areas that include but are not limited to administrative, advocacy, and holistic client services. Tahirih Justice Center will work with individuals who are seeking to secure funding or school credit. There is a minimum of a 12 hour commitment per week with flexible scheduling.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct immigration eligibility screenings with service seekers and provide adequate referrals telephonically and in-person if needed.
• Equip survivors of violence with information about their rights and protections in the criminal justice process, including protective orders, Crime Victim’s compensation, and other forms of relief under the supervision of Legal Advocates.
• Assist with and/or attend screenings, outreach, and workshops.
• Research and draft or update materials for survivors of gender-based violence as needed.
• Assist Legal Advocates and other legal team members with completing filings for clients.
• Translate and interpret for client services as needed, which may include but not be limited to asylum interviews, forensic mental health interviews, and general document translation.
• Data entry into Legal Server software.
• Ability to commit a minimum of 12 hours during the work week, M-F 9:00AM-5:30PM.
• Bilingual in Spanish or French, written and oral is strongly preferred.
• Must have high school degree or GED. College credit available if enrolled in accredited program.
• Proficiency in Microsoft software, such as PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as telephone etiquette.
• Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment with people from diverse backgrounds
• Detail-orientated with strong time-management skills
• Knowledge, interest, and/or experience working with immigrant communities Knowledge, interest, and/or experience working with issues of domestic violence, human trafficking and international women’s rights
• Professional, emotionally mature and exercises sound judgment
Experience working with trauma survivors (desired by not required)
About the Tahirih Justice Center: The Tahirih Justice Center is a growing national non-profit organization that supports the courage of immigrant women and girls who refuse to be victims of violence by providing holistic legal services and advocacy in courts, Congress, and communities. Through pro bono holistic legal services, community outreach and education and nonpartisan public policy advocacy, Tahirih protects women and girls seeking protection from gender-based human rights abuses such as domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, female genital mutilation, honor crimes, and forced marriage. Tahirih is a Bahá’í-inspired organization and works to create a world where women and girls can live in safety and with dignity. Tahirih’s 70 employees work from offices in the DC metro area, Baltimore, Houston, Atlanta, and the San Francisco Bay Area.
Submissions: To apply for this internship position, please email a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional and/or academic references to:
Tahirih Justice Center
Please note: All interns must pass a background check and complete an in-depth training course on working with survivors of violence, and other relevant trainings.
Tahirih Justice Center is committed to equal opportunity and promotes equity and transparency as core values. Tahirih practices inclusiveness in decision making through the use of consultation with employees throughout the organization. Tahirih does not discriminate against any person on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, ability, gender, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Applicants committed to equity from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and identities are encouraged to apply.
Job posted on 4th May 2018
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying to this position