- Technical Manager, Data2X, NY, USA
The United Nations Foundation was created in 1998 as a US charity by entrepreneur and philanthropist Ted Turner. The Foundation uses innovative campaigns and transformative public-private partnerships to connect people, ideas, and resources to help the UN solve global problems, and it broadens support for the United Nations through advocacy and public outreach. The Foundation is driven by the belief that a better world is within reach – and that everyone has a role to play in helping the UN make this vision possible.
Data2X is a collaborative technical and advocacy platform dedicated to improving the quality, availability, and use of gender data to make a practical difference in the lives of women and girls worldwide. Data2X works with UN agencies, governments, civil society, academics, and the private sector to close gender data gaps, promote expanded and unbiased gender data collection, and use gender data to improve policies, strategies, and decision-making.
The Technical Manager, Data2X provides guidance and input on gender data to Data2X partnerships and supports activities and products of the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (GPSDD), a global multi-stakeholder initiative to improve the production, analysis, and use of data for sustainable development, also housed at the United Nations Foundation.
The Technical Manager, Data2X will report to the Deputy Director, Data2X.
- Develop practical tools and guidance for data producers in different domains to improve gender data in line with the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Review survey tools and methodologies and provide general technical guidance for Data2X research partnerships in key domains, e.g. measuring women’s subsistence production and time use; women’s financial inclusion data; gender in displacement contexts; and gender and ‘big data’.
- Act as a liaison between Data2X and the various work streams of GPSDD with a particular focus on country roadmaps and the Leave No One Behind Data Collaborative.
- Link Data2X and gender data community to specific needs emerging in countries that are undertaking national data roadmap processes, including potentially in-depth work with 1-2 countries on specific challenges related to gender data.
- Participate in Leave No One Behind task teams as appropriate, bringing a gender data perspective and creating connections to Data2X work.
- Compile and develop use cases on how improved gender data drives decision-making.
- Assess opportunities for engagement in new Data2X partnership opportunities as they arise: Identify Data2X’s added value, capacity to engage, and ways of contributing.
- Deploy as needed in response to requests from partners, countries, and other organizations for assistance with gender data challenges.
- Analyze partnership findings and gender policy implications; articulate the roles of different institutional actors and partnership outcomes through short briefing and summary materials.
- As needed, work with partners to identify how different datasets can be tapped creatively and analyzed for gender data.
- Work with Director of Communications and Global Advocacy to translate technical learnings into policy and advocacy materials.
- Author blog postings or other commentary based on related current events.
- Represent the team at public events, meetings, and conferences, at the UN and at the country level.
- Other duties as assigned.
• Background in economics, statistics, international/public policy, or related field.
• At least 5 years of experience in quantitative research, specifically in an international development context.
• Experience working in developing countries, ideally working directly with domestic government and civil society counterparts.
• Experience analyzing quantitative data and knowledge/understanding of major international datasets.
• Experience working with official statistics or survey data. Proficiency in statistical data analysis software (R, SPSS, Stata).
• Knowledge of international gender equality field.
• Excellent writing skills, with ability to translate technical findings to broad and varied audiences for policy influence.
• Strong skills working in teams and across many types of organizations – collaborator; problem solver; relationship-builder; with a knack for convening stakeholders across varied sectors.
• Strong attention to detail and demonstrated excellence working in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to travel internationally (approximately 30%).
Benefits & Compensation:
The United Nations Foundation offers an excellent range of benefits for full-time employees including: a choice of two health plans through CareFirst (PPO or HDHP). dental insurance, vision discounts, life insurance, supplemental life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, long-term care insurance, health club discounts, commuter benefits, employee assistance program and Warby Parker discounts.
12 Paid holidays, 4 weeks of vacation, 10 sick days, 3 personal days and 8 weeks of parental leave (mother or father). Access to the UNFCU Credit Union, 150% match on our 403b retirement plan, Flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts and discounted Zipcar membership.
Apply online here https://careers-unfoundation.icims.com/jobs/1491/technical-manager%2c-data2x/job
Visit us here http://www.unfoundation.org
Posted on 21 June 2017
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying for this position