- Senior Policy Officer, Data2X, NY or DC, USA
Data2X is a collaborative technical and global advocacy initiative dedicated to improving the quality, availability and use of gender data. Data2X works with UN agencies, governments, civil society, academics, and the private sector to build data partnerships which generate solutions to close gender data gaps, promote expanded and unbiased gender data collection, and use gender data to improve policies, strategies, and decision-making.
Following Data2X's first three years of operations focused primarily on the development of technical partnerships to identify and fill gender data gaps and improve the use of existing data, Data2X is expanding into global policy advocacy. The policy advocacy work will help ensure uptake of the solutions produced by the technical partnerships and ongoing investment in gender data.
The Senior Policy Officer will assist Data2X with the development and execution of a policy advocacy strategy. This strategy will help inform Data2X’s local, national and international activities, and will further Data2X’s mission to promote the centrality of gender data for development progress and gender equality, and to increase the availability and use of high-quality data to provide greater insights into the lives of girls and women globally.
- Assist with the development and manage execution of a policy advocacy strategy to further Data2X’s mission to increase production, collection, and use of gender data to improve the lives of women and girls worldwide.
- Track gender data policy issues and opportunities, both within the SDGs framework and more broadly.
- Understand the gender data landscape and map key actors, audiences, moments, actions to be taken, potential partners and champions, etc. – at the global level, as well as for technical partnership areas.
- Work closely with the Communications and Advocacy Director to build stakeholder engagement plans and develop and maintain close relationships with partners in the gender and data policy communities, including influencers and decision-makers.
- Identify opportunities for Data2X to input to and influence the global, regional, and national data conversations.
- Assist with organizing policy-related convenings; provide logistical support for events, as needed, including live tweeting from the institutional Twitter handle.
- Conduct research and draft policy analysis and briefs, blogs, op-eds, press releases;contribute to memos, talking points, and other written materials for senior staff, as needed.
- Track, analyze, and report on relevant UN meetings, SDG implementation conversations, data conversations, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree required in public policy, data science, economics, or international affairs, plus 7+ years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with policy advocacy in data science, gender equality, or international affairs preferred.
- In-depth knowledge and passion for development data and/or gender equality, and experience working with global data systems and the UN.
- Experience working with high level decision-makers and their teams; demonstrated experience in building an influence plan on a given issue.
- Proven ability to research, analyze, and write on gender data within a broader development context.
- Prior knowledge about the Sustainable Development Goals and the data for development movement.
- Attention to detail and adherence to deadlines.
- Strong skills working in teams and across many types of organizations – collaborator; problem solver; relationship-builder; with a knack for convening stakeholders across varied sectors.
- Sense of humor; highly organized; demonstrates grace under pressure; and delivers results in a fast-paced environment.
- A willingness to travel, domestically and internationally (around 25-35%, depending on needs) and the ability to interact with people from diverse, multi-cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
Benefits & Compensation:
The United Nations Foundation offers an excellent range of benefits for full-time employees including: a choice of two health plans through CareFirst (PPO or HDHP). dental insurance, vision discounts, life insurance, supplemental life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, long-term care insurance, health club discounts, commuter benefits, employee assistance program and Warby Parker discounts.
12 Paid holidays, 4 weeks of vacation, 10 sick days, 3 personal days and 8 weeks of parental leave (mother or father). Access to the UNFCU Credit Union, 150% match on our 403b retirement plan, Flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts and discounted Zipcar membership.
The Senior Officer, Data2X position can be performed in the United Nations Foundation's New York, NY or Washington, DC office.
Apply online here https://careers-unfoundation.icims.com/jobs/1490/senior-policy-officer%2c-data2x/job
Visit us here http://www.unfoundation.org
Posted on 21 June 2017
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying for this position