- Summer 2017 Opposition Research Intern, DC, USA
As the nation’s leading pro-choice advocacy group, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans, including abortion access.
Along with more than one million member activists from all 50 states and network of state affiliates, NARAL works to guarantee that each woman has access to the full range of reproductive freedoms. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant woman, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that works to impose their ideological agenda on others.
NARAL Pro-Choice America is looking for a responsible, dedicated, resolutely pro-choice intern to work with NARAL Pro-Choice America’s Research Department. Interns are essential in helping NARAL Pro-Choice America fulfill its mission and advance current projects.
The intern will work with the Research team to help create, coordinate, and archive research projects across NARAL’s national and state offices, studying the radical anti-choice movement’s strategies and key actors. The intern will be responsible for executing administrative tasks related to our projects’ success, and will get hands-on experience in both long-term and rapid response research in conjunction with ongoing reproductive rights campaigns.
Internships with NARAL Pro-Choice America are an excellent way to build your resume while gaining valuable experience with a premiere non-profit advocacy organization. NARAL Pro-Choice America will work with your school to secure academic credit where applicable.
Location: Washington, DC
This position is: Internship, hourly rate of $11.50/hr and metro stipend provided. The intern is asked to be available at least 25 hours a week.
Internship Date: June 2017 – August 2017
Reports To: Associate Research Director
- Maintain and update an internal, qualitative digital database that compiles existing research into a user-friendly, accessible system for the NARAL network
- Keep an up-to-date collection of press clips, and track coverage and use of disseminated research
- Evaluate older research on the NARAL website and database, finding opportunities to update and ensure we have the most accurate, actionable intelligence available
- Create new research briefs as needed, identifying the most effective narrative against a target and compiling, writing, and editing the research to present to internal stakeholders and coalition partners.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Record of performing qualitative research, either academically or professionally, is required
- Prior experience with opposition research, politics and advocacy campaigns, or communications/media is preferable, but not necessary
- Knowledge of and strong commitment to reproductive rights issues and NARAL Pro-Choice America’s mission and goals
- Demonstrated writing skills, particularly in fast-paced environments
- Strong organizational skills and excellent attention to detail
- Good academic standing
- Ability to commit to working at least 25 hours per week
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of projects simultaneously
- Ability to produce concrete results with minimal supervision
- Excellent communications skills
- Ability to work effectively both individually and in a team.
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Apply online here https://www.prochoiceamerica.org/about/jobs/summer-2017-opposition-research-intern
Visit us here https://www.prochoiceamerica.org or https://www.prochoiceamerica.org/about/jobs
Posted on 15 June 2017
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying for this position