- Communications Internship - New York, NY, USA
Title: Communications Intern
Location: New York, NY 10001
Supervisor: Communications Coordinator
Last Day to Apply: Applications accepted on a rolling basis
The Drug Policy Alliance has an immediate opening for a Communications Intern.
Drug Policy Alliance
The Drug Policy Alliance (DPA) is the nation's leading organization seeking to dramatically alter drug policy in the U.S. and around the world. DPA fights for drug policies based on science, compassion, health and human rights. Our work is grounded in the principles of harm reduction, an approach that seeks to minimize the negative consequences of both drug use and drug policies. DPA's work encompasses a wide array of policy issues, including:
- Sentencing reform and alternatives to incarceration
- Harm reduction (HIV, hepatitis C and overdose prevention)
- Marijuana regulation, marijuana decriminalization and medical marijuana
- Drug education and youth policy
- Race and the drug war
- Effective drug treatment
- Civil liberties and rights
- International drug control
- Alternatives to prohibition and pragmatic steps for ending the drug war
In the last 20 years, DPA has expanded from its New York headquarters to include eight offices, 60 plus staff, an annual operating budget of approximately $12 million, over 35,000 dues-paying members and nearly 350,000 online subscribers. We have a solid track record of success at the local, state, and federal levels and consistent visibility in prominent media and policy circles. (For more information, see www.drugpolicy.org)
- Assisting in the production and distribution of DPA’s communications materials (such as reports, fact sheets, issue briefs, web content, multimedia materials, and media-related materials)
- Conducting factual research and writing
- Assisting with maintaining DPA’s publications and Webstore inventory
- Strategizing ways to mobilize and engage DPA’s members and supporters
- Responding to requests for support and information from DPA staff, members, and the public
- Providing general and administrative support to the department
- Other projects as assigned
Based in DPA's New York City headquarters, the Communications Intern will be part of DPA's Communications team and report to the Publications Manager.
- Excellent research, writing and editing skills
- Strong computer skills, particularly web-based research
- A passion for and commitment to civil liberties and social justice
- The ideal intern will be highly organized, have a good sense of humor, and be able to work with minimum supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or 1-2 years related experience preferred
- Graduate students enrolled in programs for social science, communications or related fields strongly encouraged to apply
Though much of the internship is administrative, there is tremendous opportunity to learn about various aspects of effective communications campaigns. In return, the volunteer will have the chance to work with a highly skilled and fun team of committed people. Arrangements can be made for community service or course credit. Internship schedules are flexible, totaling 15-30 hours per week.
This is an unpaid internship. Local transit stipend provided.
Applications accepted on a rolling basis
The Drug Policy Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are particularly interested in hiring those who have been adversely affected by the war on drugs.
Note: Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Apply online here http://www.drugpolicy.org/about-us/jobs-and-internships/communications-internship-new-york-ny
Visit us here http://www.drugpolicy.org
Posted on 10 July 2017
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying for this position